Thursday 22 August 2013

Inaugural post, mint skittle mani

Hello readers,
This is my first ever blog post.  I will start with the mani and from there give you a little info about me and my nail polish addiction.

I started by applying 2 coats NOPI A-nise Treat to my pinkie finger.  This is my first and so far only textured polish.  I don't really like the idea of having a rough texture to my nails but the texture to this polish is finer than many that I have seen and I like that the glitter is small, and Oh My Glob! (sorry, I love Adventure Time, LSP for the win!) I love the sparkle this polish has.
On my middle finger I used 1 coat of Essie's No Place Like Chrome, an awesome metallic polish that is also great for stamping, as you can see on my ring finger.  While that was drying(which took no time at all since this polish is very fast drying) I added 2 coats of Ciate's Pepperminty to the other three nails.  It is almost a one coater but I am prone to do at least 2 coats of most polish.  I then added a layer of silver glitter from Color Club's Art Club Primary striper set using the dabbing method.
I top coated each finger except for the A-nise Treat with SV and waited a few minutes before applying the dots on my index nail with a dotting tool in A-nise Treat and No Place Like Chrome to create a gradient.
On my ring finger I then stamped using Pueen plate 15 from the Sumptuous collection and on my thumb(not shown because my fingers are super short and getting my thumb into the shot requires a crab-like contortion and is awkward to shoot) I added vertical lines with a silver striper.
I coated everything but my pinkie in another coat of SV and added Revlon's Matte Top Coat over the stamped image.
Overall I really enjoyed this mani, sorry about the lack of sun in the picture but it is a rainy thundery day in Ontario, where I live.

Now for a little background about me and polish:
I have always loved painting my nails and thought I had a decent collection, but it was just something I did occasionally and would paint my toes more often because my nails were prone to splitting and peeling and polish would only last about one day before most of it would chip away.  
Everything changed for me when my father passed away this past March of a lung disease called Dermatomyositis, which ate away at his muscles for a year and caused him to have to use oxygen 24 hours a day just to keep going.  My Dad was an amazing man, incredibly gifted with his hands and could fix anything and build anything out of wood, from the addition on our house to jewelry boxes for his little girls. I was always his helper when he was building something, and it was he that taught me that more thin coats is better than fewer thick coats, if it works on wood with varnish it must work on nail polish, right?
His favourite colour was yellow so for the funeral I painted my nails CG Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini with small white dots that the yellow made look like a lighter yellow.
From there it seemed the flood gates opened, my nails, both the colour and length, were one of the few things I could control.  I bought many new polishes, and my collection, which was at about 100 drug store brand polishes began to increase to include more salon brands and a few indie's, I want more but many of the indie makers are based in the states, paying for shipping to Canada can get a bit expensive.  I discovered online retailers like nailpolishcanada.com and harlowandco.org which are great since I live in a rural area about a half hour drive from a city of any size.

I will end the post there for now, my fellow polishers but there will be more to come in the near future.  It is my intention to post at lease twice a week, depending on my schedule at work.  Until then, polish happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment